Dr. Karin Calvo-Goller studied at the Sorbonne. She was asked to join the College of Law and Business in 1997, one year after its creation. She became a senior lecturer in 1998.
She earned a Licence en Droit (L.L.M) in 1978, an M.A. in 1979, a Predoctoral Studies (D.E.A.) in 1980, and her doctorate in 1985 from the Faculty of Law of Paris I, Pantheon-Sorbonne (Law of International Organizations and International Economic Relations).
She made alya in July 1988, learned Hebrew and six months later gave her first course in Hebrew on Nuclear Weapons in International Law at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. She taught from 1989 to 2005 at the Faculty of Law and from 1989 to 2004 at the Department of International Relations of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. She gave series of lectures at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Jerusalem, in the context of the cadets courses on Weapons in International Law. She was admitted to the Israeli Bar in 1991.
Previously, she worked as a jurist in a Paris Law Firm (Calvo-Claret-Louvet-Riondet) and as an international civil servant at the United Nations in New York as well as at the FAO in Rome and made a stage at UNESCO in Paris.
While in France she filed legal cases jointly with her husband, Dr. Michel CALVO, for the defense of human rights of Soviet Jews in the field of education, science and culture (1980-1987).
Her present fields of research are public international law, international criminal procedure, international humanitarian law, human rights, weapons in international law, and legal aspects of the Middle-East peace.
She speaks English, French, Hebrew, German, Italian, Ladino, and has some knowledge of Spanish.
Dr. Karin Calvo-Goller is married to Dr. Michael Calvo, they have 5 children and several grandchildren.
Contact Dr. Karin Calvo-Goller: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The SALT (Strategic Arms Limitation Agreements) - Content, Application, Verification, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers (Co-author with Dr. M. CALVO) (Foreword by Paul C. Warnke and preface by Dean C. A. Colliard (1987); Reviews in English.
- Les Accords SALT - Contenu - Application - Controle, Bruylant Brussels (Co-author with M. Calvo) (Avant propos de Paul C. Warnke et préface du Doyen C. A. Colliard) (1987); See reviews in Politique Etrangère, in Le Monde Diplomatique and in Law Journals.
- The Trial Proceedings of the International Criminal Court, Martinus Njihoff Publishers, (2005); (Excerpts of reviews of Pr. Kai Ambos and Pr. Michael Tigar, full review of Pr. Kai Ambos).
- Le Dossier Arafat (Cover), Ed. Albin Michel, (Co-author with Dr. M. Calvo), (2004).
- La Procédure et la Jurisprudence de la Cour Pénale Internationale, Editions Lextenso-La Gazette du Palais (2012) (Préface by Pr. Robert Badinter, Former President of the French Constitutional Council translated in English). Extract of the Press release in French.
- "The Perception of Threat as a Factor of the Arms Race", UNESCO (1981).
- "The Constitutive Elements of the State and the PNC Declaration of November 15, l988", (with Prof. Ruth Lapidoth) (in French), 96 Revue Generale de Droit International Public 777 (1992).
- "The Status of Self-Government provided by the Declaration of Principles of September 13, 1993" (in French), 39 Annuaire Français de Droit International 435 (1993).
- "Legal Analysis of the Security Arrangements in the Israel/PLO Agreements", 28 Israel Law Review 236 (1994).
- “The Extension of Palestinian Autonomy to West Bank Territory” (in French), 41 Annuaire Français de Droit International 53 (1995).
- "Legal Background and Analysis of the 1997 Convention Banning Anti-Personnel Mines", 32 Israel Law Review, 645 (1998).
- "Legal Aspects of the Changeover to the Euro”, 1 Alei Mishpat, the Academic College Law Review (in Hebrew) 193 (1999).
- "More than a Huge Imbalance: the ICJ's Advisory Opinion on the Legal Consequences of the Construction of the Barrier", 39 Israel Law Review (2005).
- “ Aperçu de la procédure de la Cour Pénale Internationale, de l’ouverture de l’enquête à la confirmation des charges’’, Actualité Juridique Pénale, Dalloz janvier 2011, no. 1, p. 23 (jan. 2011).
- “The 2012 ICC Rules of Arbitration - An Accelerated Procedure and Substantial Changes”, Journal of International Arbitration, no. 3, 2012, Kluwer Law International BV, The Netherlands, 323-344 (2012).
- The Perception of Threat as a Factor of the Arms Race, prepared for UNESCO, Paris 1981.
- Legal Analysis of the Implementation of Decision 9.4 for the Recognition of New Rights and the Creation of a New Status for PLO/Palestine in UNESCO, Jerusalem 1989.
- "The Star War and the ABM Treaty: Legal Problems of Compatibility", Le Figaro, in French (1985).
- "Expulsions and International Law", Le Monde, in French (1988).
- "OFEK-1 and International Law", The Jerusalem Post, in English (l988).
Presentations: (examples - the papers or the lectures are underlined)
- Arms Exports from the EC Countries: Should there be a Common Policy for Regulation and Control? Presented in the context of a Seminar on Europe after Maastricht, Aachen, Germany 1992.
- The Israel-PLO Agreement, Conference at the Bar of Paris 1993.
- Security Arrangements in the Middle East, Conference on Relations Between Europe and the Middle East, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem 1994.
- The Formation of European Foreign Policy, Curiel Center for International Studies, Tel Aviv University 1995.
- The Prospects of a Conference on Security and Cooperation in the Middle East, Conference on European Lessons for Middle East Cooperation, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem 1996.
- Weapons in International Law, series of lectures at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Jerusalem, in the context of the cadets course 1996/97.
- The Participation of Victims in International Proceedings, Conference on the Rights of the Victims, The Hague 1999.
- Institutional Independence of the Defence, Conference on the Creation of the International Criminal Bar Before the International Criminal Court (founding member), Montreal Canada 2002.
- Procedural Aspects of International Criminal Trials, Conference on International Criminal Law in Honor of Prof. Feller, The Academic College of Law and The Hebrew University of Jerusalem 2002.
- The Shortcomings of the International Court of Justice’s Advisory Opinion, Conference on International Law and International Relations, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem 2005.
- Was Justice Done? The Post World War II Trials, presented at the Seminar of the Survivors of the Tutsi Genocide (Rwanda) at Yad Va Shem, Jerusalem 2005.
- The Military Court and the International Criminal Court, is there a Relation between the Two?, lecture before the appeals Judges of the Military Court, Israel 2006.
- International Criminal Law and International Humanitarian Law, Participation at Salzburg University 2006.
- The Rights of the Defence in ICC Trials;
The Hamas Government and the International Legal Issues Involved; Duke Law School, 2007 Durham N.C, USA .
- International Criminal Trials, presented in French at the Seminar for members of the French prosecutorial system, Yad Va Shem, Jerusalem 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Discussant, The Institute for Minority Rights, Minority Rights Lecture EURAC Research Program, Bozen, Italy 2012.
- The ICC after 10 years. Proceedings and Precedents of the International Criminal Court, Fundamental Rights Commission, Bar of Paris 2012.
Courses and Seminars:
-Public International Law
- The Laws of War
- The Rights of the Accused in International Criminal Procedure
- International Law and Globalization
- The Trial Proceedings of the ICC, ICTY and the ICTR
- International Jurisdiction
- The Law of European Institutions
- The Middle East Peace Process / Contemporary Legal Issues
- Basic Principles of Public Law in Continental Europe
- Weapons in International Law: Conventional, Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Armaments.